Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and the Optimistic

Something good comes out of everything bad. Yeah I know it sounds cliché, but in my life, I’ve found that it’s absolutely true… without exception. While my short 18 years certainly haven’t been the worst, I’ve definitely had my fair share of rough times. There were a couple times where I was hanging on by a strand, with little reason to go on, but by some marvel I kept struggling, relying on my optimistic nature that told me that something good would inevitably come my way.

Think about it. When was the last bad thing that happened? Is there anything good that you can find that came out of it? Granted, it may be hard to find at first, but once you get into the habit of looking at the positive in the negative, it gets a hell of a lot easier.

It doesn’t have to be something as big as the stories we read about 9/11 with the people that got coffee spilled on them and therefore were late for work and not in the buildings when they crashed. It also shouldn’t be something cynical like reasoning that not getting chocolate for Valentine’s Day is good because it’s fattening anyway. We all know you would have liked to get chocolate (whether you would have eaten it or not is a different story). I’m talking about the rough times that everyone goes through, like break ups, failed tests, etc… that may feel terrible at the time, but if you look hard enough you can find something positive in your life that changed because of what happened. Sometimes what happened will outweigh the amount of good you find, no matter how hard you look, but the point of it is to realize that SOMETHING positive came out of it, regardless of how small that something might be.

I’m not saying that when something bad happens, you shouldn’t be sad, because it’s always important to feel the hurt of what you’ve gone through. But it’s also important to remember that things will get better, no matter what. Life can throw you some pretty wacky curveballs, believe me, I’ve been hit by that damn pitcher a couple times too many, but regardless of the bruises, scars, and broken hearts I’ve suffered, I still choose to be happy.

Anything can change in an instant. Today might be the worst day in the world, but tomorrow morning you might wake up and meet the love of your life. That’s what’s beautiful about this whole future thing… we have no idea what’s coming. It could be good, it could be bad, who knows? But instead of dreading, or being pessimistic about tomorrow, wouldn’t we be so much better off if we decided to greet every morning with a smile, regardless of our yesterday?
I’m not writing this post from an awesome time in my life and looking down on all the sad souls, telling them to perk up. No, my life is far from perfect. And I’ll be honest, there was a point, very recently, where I scoffed at my own principles and told myself how stupid I was to believe that life is anything but cruel and unfair. But with the help of some amazing friends, God, and my damn determination, I’ve come around once again to the fact that life will give you what it gives you and all you can do is try to be happy and hopeful, no matter what the circumstances.
The whole point of life is that it goes on. We’re all in it together and we can look at it whatever way we choose. I choose to be optimistic. I choose to believe that things happen for a reason. And I choose to believe that if I look hard enough, there’s going to be some sort of rainbow after every storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment