Friday, November 11, 2011

It's a grey area...

So, this evening, I decided that I would finally go and do something with the people of color student groups on campus. What there was, was a screening of a web series called 'Awkward Black Girl'. It's a funny show, but you have to have a sense of humor to watch it. Anyways, after the screenings, the creators of the series sat down and answered the audience's questions. It went back and forth, and people were saying how they really related to J (the main character), others were asking about starting their own web series, and then...then someone said:"Well, I'm part of the Black Student Union at my school..." and as I turned around to see who was talking, to my surprise...it was a white girl (oh, sorry. I meant Caucasian woman.) Not only did I do a double take, but, I had to try to stifle the fits of laughter that were taking over me. But in the end, I was laughing so hard I was crying. And it's not because 'Oh, my gosh, there are white people in the Black Student Union!', it was just because...I just didn't understand! I guess that it's not an exclusive thing. When I was talking to a friend about it later, she compared it to a GSA, as in 'you don't have to be black to join.'...I learn new things every day in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment