Thursday, January 19, 2012

I had Christmas down in Africa!

I suppose it's time that I blog about my experience back home. Let me just say- it was amazing. I loved being home, seeing my family, seeing my boyfriend, but I think one of the things I really loved, was being back in the country of the DRC. (No, that's not the Dominican Republic. I get that a lot.) It never dropped below, let's say, 76 or 80 while I was there. It was sunny most of the time. I could wear shorts, and my two-piece in the middle of December. Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is that I loved being back.

So! Let me think. Oh yes. The day I left. Just so you all know, I am a horrible packer. I always pack too much, or my suitcase is too heavy. So this time, I was determined to make it under 50 lbs. And I did! I got to the airport early, I was bouncing with happiness! And then when I got to the counter, the clerk checked in my one bag, gave me my ticket, and just as I was walking away, said, "I think your carry-on is too heavy". My immediate reaction was "LOL no it's not. I weighed it, 'foo." Buuuuut then she said that my carry on and my personal item were only allowed to weigh 12 pounds. Together. O_O So yeah. I think, as an international traveler, the most humiliating thing you can be made to do is unpack your entire suitcase at the check-in counter. Just sayin'. But I was determined not to let anything ruin my mood. I was going home!! I unpacked, re-packed, packed-in, packed-up....and ended up just checking my carry on anyways. I had my shoulder bag, and that's what I needed. I met up with an old friend in the airport, got my last Starbucks before getting on the plane, and despite all the caffeine in my system, the minute the wheels were up, I was out. I slept for most of the plane ride (I always do, it's a skill.) and then I watched a movie, and went back to sleep.

We touched down in Paris at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. when none of the shops are open. Let me explain something for those of you who have never traveled to Africa. In each airport that is in Europe, there is what we TCK's endearingly call 'The Africa Terminal'. This terminal is the crappiest in the whole airport. They kind of stick you in there, with a very limited amount of things to do, and an even more limited amount of space to roam. But, you get used to it and it really isn't so bad. I plugged in my computer and alternated between sleep and facebook until it was time for my flight to Congo, by which time I couldn't stop smiling. People must have thought I was crazy. This flight, I slept most of the way again, but when they told us 5 minutes to touchdown I was WIDE awake. And grinning. Again.

We touched down and I immediately texted my mom and my boyfriend (who had come to pick me up at the airport), forgetting that the president had banned texting in a preemptive effort to stop election violence. The minute I stepped off the plane, I knew I was home, because...the heat...the sweat....holy crap. Massachusetts winter ≠ Congo summer. But I was wearing light clothes, so it wasn't too bad. I flew through customs, got my own bags (protocol didn't show), and ran outside to where my mom and my boyfriend's dad were waiting. After hugging them both and heading over to the car, I saw my - you know what, I'm tired of typing 'boyfriend'. His name is Daniel, not to be confused with Josh's Daniel who is much too young for me. Anyways, Daniel and his sister were waiting for me by the car, and after huge hugs from the both of them, we were headed home. They both slept over on campus that night, one at my house one at my brother's house. I must say, it was an awesome homecoming indeed.

The rest of break was great, as well. I had a reunion lunch with a bunch of people from my senior class that was nice, we all missed each other, I think. Christmas morning I woke up super early, but I knew something was wrong with my mom because it was 10 a.m. and she still wasn't out of bed. She was sick, but she got out of bed to open her presents anyways, which was nice of her. I think she loved them. I had Christmas dinner at Daniel's house, which was interesting. Diplomats and army guys...anyways, I dressed up - I love to dress up. Giving him his Christmas presents was also pretty cool. Then my brother (Alykhan) and I hosted a New Year's party, with half of the festivities being at his house, but the countdown and (fake) champagne poppage at the pool. The girls (my brother's girlfriend Jennifer and our friend Clarissa) spent the night at my house, while the boys (that Josh mentioned) spent the night at my brother's house. We were up until a good 4:30 in the morning. It was a hectic few days, but it was all pretty awesome. My other brother (Nat) came home a couple days after New Years (he had been evacuated because of elections). It was nice to see him. A week later, school started for my high-school buddies, and a week after that, it was time for me to head back to Amherst.

The Friday before I left, Me, two of my three brothers, Daniel's sister Kaity, and I went out for dinner at a shmancy restau' called Limoncello, with an evening at a lounge called Spice afterwards. It was all pretty nice, we had a good time, laughing and talking the entire time. Then on Sunday, I went to Daniel's house and said my goodbyes, sobbed a bit because I was (and still am) confused about my life, and headed to the airport both Daniel and my mom. Right as they called me for boarding, I burst into tears again, but once I got on the plane I was okay. I remember what Daniel said to me: "Keep your chin up." and I've been trying to do just that.

Being back isn't so bad. It snowed the night I got in, but it melted the next day. I'm still counting down the weeks until I can go home again, but hey, it works for me.

A little note about going home after you've been at college for a bit: I think you tend to appreciate everything more. Especially your family. It was nice being able to see my mom, get home cooked meals (NOT Sodexo!) and even arguing with her all felt so familiar. It was nice to see my little array of people I call my family: my brothers, Alykhan, Nat, and Josh, my sister Kaity, and my boyfriend Daniel...the people that matter to you...maybe it's just me, but I guess you really realize how good something was when it's gone, and it makes you appreciate it so much more when you get it back. Even my dog and cat seemed nicer to me, haha.

Anyways, last semester was sort of disastrous, but...it's 2012!! and I am determined to look at this year with a positive note. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to put in all that I can to make it work. My schedule is hectic with several back to back schedules, but I'm sure that I can manage it. Daniel encourages me: "If anyone can make it through, it's you." So...I'm remaining positive.

I know it's been a long post, but let me just end with a quote I came up with a while back, that I still like to remember from time to time: "Carpe Diem. No time for regrets."

No comments:

Post a Comment