Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Home is where I want to be.

"Well, I'm home." - Sam Wise Gamgee. Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't know what it is about this semester but I feel great about it! I think I can largely attribute it to the emotional, physical and spiritual re-charge I got over Christmas break. So good! I got to see almost all of my old friends and we hung out at our old stomping grounds, but what I think really did it for me, was the time I spent with my family. My Mom and I still talk and such like good friends, Emily is the best little sister ever and I'm glad that we've stopped fighting so much, Daniel, man, well, he's a red-headed son of a missions wife so he's going to be special in all sorts of awesome ways. And then there's my dad. I think I went through a period of time when I didn't really appreciate what he did for us and the effort it took and I'm not proud of it, but in recent months I feel like I've come to understand who he is and just how much he has helped me and worked hard so that I can goo to this school and type these things and do what I want to do to become who I want to be. He's an amazing man and father. My family is one of a kind and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Where ever they are I think will always be home for me. But I also live here in the U.S of A. and this is my home as well. They say that home is where the hear is and I would agree. The thing is, I've had the luxury of living many different places and I love almost every single one of them. If I could live everywhere, I would. But I also could be happy living in one place. Such is the life of a TCK.

And now here is a little something I wrote in Kinshasa with te intention of posting, but I forgot with all that was going on. I'll let you know when I'm typing in the present again.

"My trip over here was eventful to put it mildly. It all started when I woke up on Saturday morning thinking my plane left St. Louis U.S.A at 3:00pm. Something prompted me to re-check my schedule and I found the my plane did not leave at that time, but it left at 12:00pm. At this point, I look at the clock and note that it is 10:45am. And using the fastest times I've ever had I get 30 min to pack two bags, 20 min to the airport, 10 min to check in, 10 min walking through the airport, 20-40 min for security and then maybe I'll get there on time. Do the math and that's nearly two hours... and 10:45am plus two hours is much later than 12:00pm. So due to my inability to control the space time continuum in a manner that would not effect everyone adversely I missed my flight to Washington D.C. Fortunately, that's a popular location and there was another flight out there soon enough for me to make it on and also make my connection in D.C to Brussels. After paying $70 to the nice man at the kiosk and booking it to my gate I assumed I was out of the weather. Come to find out, I was only going to have around 15 min in the D.C airport to get to my gate. I don't know how many readers out there have been in this particular airport but it's MASSIVE with a capital big." (back to 2012) so yeah. Big airport, no time, running like a scared tourist with a illegal souvenir. Fortunately for me, I don't panic easily so I made it there quickly and on time. the rest of the flight went smoothly and I arrived in Kinshasa unscathed and sleep deprived. That's when I learned they had lost my luggage... Three days later, I got it and all was well.

During the trip I had to many adventures to count so I'll talk about one of the biggest: The New Years Eve Party. Oh man do we know how to party. Passion fruits, dancing the can-can, fooze-ball, pool, swimming, countdowns, movies, food and more food. It was insane! I have my good buddy Alykhan to thank for it. Along with Daniel, Michael, J.D, Momo, and, to a lesser exstent Amilio and Arman. Thanks guys! I didn't mention the girls because I'll leave that to Shanti. Can't let me have all the fun.

The flight home was ok I guess. Boring and long. I got the St. Louis and guess what?! My luggage was missing!!! Yes. I lost my luggage both ways... I don't know what it is about my bag in particular but they like to not put them on the plane. Perhaps to look through my things and take the cool stuff. I lost an electric razor and two sets of headphones on the way there... Not cool. And I know it's an American worker who did it because they got past my TSA locks... Just goes to show that it's not the location that makes people corrupt. It's the person.

On a lighter note. I'm done with homework for the night and tomorrow is looking good so I'll sign off with this: Home is where the heart is, but my heart is where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment