Monday, December 5, 2011

All in a days work and worry

I must admit, I'm feeling pretty good about myself today.

Yesterday, the choir had a concert. And while I was very, very tense because I was worrying about my family back home, my being mad at my boyfriend, and how goshdarn cold it was outside, I was glad to get out, sing, hang with friends, and just get away from it all. The concert went well, and afterwards they even served delicious junk food.

Afterwards I went back to my dorm, and I got a lot of work done. Even though I was up 'til 4 a.m. doing it. Anyways, I got about 5 papers done last night, while listening to Radio Okapi (a UN backed Congolese radio station). And then I called it quits and played Need for Speed for a bit, and then crashed. I slept like a baby until 11:30 am, and when I woke up, I finally got to skype one of my brothers. He was evacuated to the states because of the very tense election situation back home. Nothing is happening yet, and hopefully nothing will happen, but we're keeping on our toes. Results are to be announced today. Listening to Radio Okapi calms me, I don't know why. Something about the familiarity of the language (French and Lingala), and the accents, I suppose.

Today, after skyping with my bro, I worked some more, and then a friend invited me to go into town, which I haven't been able to do lately. So I jumped at the opportunity. We went into NoHo, shopped for a bit...I shouldn't have shopped, but I did. Not too much! But a little. And then we went to the mall, so she could get her ears re-pierced. On the way home, though, we got stuck at UMass Amherst. One of the sketchiest places to be at night. I had to help my friend and I escape from a very obnoxious drunk guy, but we got home safe in the end, with warm and yummy noms waiting for us. Not that much of this matters.

But I guess the moral of this post is: life can be really hectic, and sometimes you just need to step back and take a breather. It can be good for you. Every so often, you just need to stop and smell the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment